I've just a little confession…
I don’t devour numerous Italian food.
I know, loopy proper? I think it’s because I’m a tiny bit obsessed with all issues Mexican (enchiladas, chips, guac, tacos… and many others.)! It’s simply too nice to refuse. This past week despite the fact that I simply had a craving for ravioli, lasagna, garlic bread, carbonara or basically ANYTHING ITALIAN. Unfortunately, all I had in my cabinet used to be a jar of pasta sauce, however man, did that sauce glance nice. Like I type of sought after to eat it out of the jar and contact it dinner.
Is that weird? Yep.
I assumed to myself for a long time about what I may just do with the pasta sauce. I mean, but even so spooning it into my mouth or simply warming it up and pretending it used to be tomato soup. At one point I considered ordering breadsticks from Pizza Hut in order that I could dip them in the sauce, however made up our minds I wasn’t that desperate.
I finished up searching the freezer and located lean floor turkey. Obviously cute little healthy turkey meatballs got here directly to thoughts. Just have a look at that steamy goodness!
Are turkey meatballs healthy?
YES. I really like making selfmade meatballs the usage of flooring turkey fairly than red meat for a rather leaner source of protein. One serving of these healthy turkey meatballs packs over 20g of protein! You too can use ground hen if you happen to’d like, or persist with beef if that’s your jam.
Ingredients in healthy turkey meatballs
These scrumptious homemade healthy turkey meatballs are easy to make with a few staple elements and a variety of spices. You’ll want:
- Lean flooring turkey: I used 93% in this recipe so that there's still some juiciness to the meatballs.
- Egg: to carry these babies together.
- Panko breadcrumbs: to ensure these healthy meatballs stick together. I also have an possibility to make use of coconut flour if you want to stay those paleo or grain free/gluten unfastened.
- Fresh basil: for that yummy Italian taste all the way through the recipe.
- Dijon mustard: a secret aspect to offer those meatballs a bit of zing.
- Italian seasoning: gimme the entire herbs.
- Amazing spices: cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (for those who like somewhat heat), salt and pepper.
- Pasta sauce: you'll be able to use a pasta sauce of your selection (garlic, purple pepper, tomato basil, or marinara), however I decided to make use of a simple good-quality tomato basil sauce since I wanted to jazz it up with my own herbs like contemporary basil. I’ve even added mushrooms to the sauce to jazz it up – so nice!
- Red pepper flakes: add a kick of heat in your smooth, sweet tomato basil sauce (leave out should you don’t desire a highly spiced sauce).
- Burrata cheese: can’t go improper with gooey cheese, however be at liberty to leave out to keep this recipe dairy free and/or paleo. Fresh or shredded mozzarella may even paintings.
That may seem like a lot of spices, but it surely effects are drop lifeless delicious! Feel unfastened to serve these together with your favorite pasta (omg best possible spaghetti & meatballs ever) and even over spaghetti squash for a low carb, paleo & gluten loose option.
How to make turkey meatballs with out breadcrumbs
This easy turkey meatball recipe may also be made with out breadcrumbs to keep it gluten free, grain free & paleo. Simply use 2-3 tablespoons of coconut flour in position of the breadcrumbs. I like to recommend starting with 2 tablespoons to look if your meatballs dangle together well and if you'll be able to easily shape them into balls.
How to prepare dinner turkey meatballs in sauce
I’ve found that I prefer this technique of cooking the turkey meatballs because they in reality soaked up all of that sauce taste.
- First, shape your meatballs. In a big bowl, use your fingers to mix the turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, basil, dijon mustard, italian seasoning, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne and salt and pepper. Mix together till smartly blended and roll into Sixteen golfing ball sized meatballs.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and upload in olive oil. Add meatballs and brown on upload sides; this must take about 5 mins. You don’t want to cook dinner them all the way through.
- Once meatballs have browned on all sides, cut back heat to medium low and add your tomato sauce. Spoon the tomato sauce generously over the meatballs. Bring to a simmer, quilt with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes while you're making your pasta (if making).
- After about 10 minutes, upload the basil and burrata in the tomato sauce and/or over the meatballs; cover and proceed cooking for five extra minutes or till the cheese has melted into the sauce. Serve with pasta, spaghetti squash, or some homemade garlic bread!
How to bake healthy turkey meatballs
Personally, I like to brown my meatballs in the skillet and then finish cooking them in the tomato sauce however you can also bake those meatballs should you’d like. Here’s the way to do it:
- Preheat your oven to four hundred levels F and line a big baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form your meatballs as directed in the recipe and lightly area them in your baking sheet.
- Bake your meatballs for 15-20 mins till they’re fully cooked.
- Then, switch your turkey meatballs them to a skillet together with your tomato sauce simmering on medium-low and gently spooned the sauce over the meatballs so that they proceed to soak in the flavor. You can proceed the recipe with including burrata as smartly!
How to arrange meatballs forward of time
These healthy turkey meatballs can simply be prepped ahead of time! Simply combine and form the meatballs then position on a baking sheet coated with parchment paper then tightly cover the meatballs with plastic wrap and place in the fridge till you are ready to cook dinner them. You can prep those meatballs up to one, or even two days forward of time.
How to retailer turkey meatballs
If you’re going to meal prep these home made turkey meatballs, I like to recommend storing them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-Four days. Yes, you'll store them in the sauce! To reheat simply position your meatballs and sauce in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
Freezer-friendly turkey meatballs (2 other ways!)
Bake first, then freeze: simply position your meatballs and sauce in a freezer safe, airtight container or bag and freeze it curious about up to 3 months. When you’re ready to revel in, let your container of meatballs + sauce thaw in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight, and then empty the contents right into a pan on the stovetop. Heat them in your pan till they’re nice and warm, and then serve!
Freeze prior to baking: you'll additionally freeze those meatballs prior to cooking them! Form your meatballs as steered, place them on a baking sheet, and put them in the freezer for 1-2 hours. This is named a flash freeze. Then, transfer your frozen meatballs to an hermetic, freezer-friendly bag or container and position in the freezer for as much as 3 months. To thaw them, simply place them in the refrigerator for a few hours or in a single day after which cook dinner them as directed in the recipe.
You guys, I truly love these turkey meatballs from the ground of my center. They’re healthy, juicy, and pleasant over an entire grain similar to quinoa, pasta, or brown rice. Comfort food makeover, right?
I think that including the Burrata cheese was what in reality made the dish special; it melted into the tomato sauce and created a creamy flavorful pop. If you don’t have Burrata, be happy to use contemporary mozzarella or even, shredded!
Hopefully I’ve convinced you to leap at the meatball loving bandwagon motive I'm obsessed with the ones little bites of heaven.
What to serve with these healthy turkey meatballs
The options are in reality unending, which makes this easy dinner recipe super versatile and nice for accommodating other dietary restrictions or personal tastes.
I know you’re going to LOVE those selfmade healthy turkey meatballs. If you make them I’d love so that you can leave a comment & ranking so I know the way you really liked them. I greatly admire it, xo!
Healthy Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Basil Sauce with Burrata
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 mins
Healthy turkey meatballs simmered in a scrumptious, home made highly spiced tomato basil sauce with creamy burrata cheese. These one pan home made juicy turkey meatballs in sauce are savory, spicy, creamy and make a scrumptious weeknight dinner with your favorite pasta and even spaghetti squash!
- For the meatballs:
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs (or if GF sub 2-Three tablespoons coconut flour)
- 2 tablespoons recent basil, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or sub dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the sauce:
- 1 (24 ounce) jar your favourite pasta sauce (we adore tomato basil)
- 4-6 massive basil leaves, julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon pink pepper flakes, plus more in case you love it really highly spiced!
- 4-6 oz. Burrata cheese (or sub recent mozzarella), cut into massive items
In a big bowl, use your hands to combine the turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, basil, dijon mustard, italian seasoning, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne and salt and pepper. Mix together till smartly mixed and roll into Sixteen golfing ball sized meatballs.
Place a large skillet over medium prime heat and upload in olive oil. Add meatballs and brown on add facets; this will have to take about 5 mins. You do not want to prepare dinner them throughout.
Once meatballs have browned on each side, scale back heat to medium low and upload your tomato sauce. Spoon the tomato sauce generously over the meatballs. Bring to a simmer, quilt with a lid and prepare dinner for 10-15 minutes whilst you make your pasta (if making).
After about 10 minutes, add the basil and burrata in the tomato sauce and/or over the meatballs; quilt and proceed cooking for 5 more minutes or until the cheese has melted into the sauce.
Serve meatballs over grain or pasta of selection. Would also be great over spaghetti squash. Serves 4.
Feel unfastened to make use of mozzarella for those who wouldn't have burrata.
These turkey meatballs can be frozen two alternative ways! Check the overall submit to peer find out how to do it.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 4 meatballs (with 1/4 sauce + burrata)
Saturated fat: 6.8g
Recipe at the beginning published August 31, 2012 and republished April 13th, 2020.
Recipe via: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by means of: Eat Love Eats
You May Like Also