Raise your hand if you loveeeee mac and cheese.
As a kid, my Dad would at all times make me mac and cheese made with sharp or white cheddar, LOTS and loads of pepper. If I used to be lucky, he’d would upload peas (because I beloved them more than another veggie in the world.)
Now that I’m into full on #adulting, I LOVE when my mac and cheese is packed with anything else just a bit bit distinctive: truffle mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese, mac and cheese with a Ritz cracker topping, mac and cheese with brussels, zucchini mac and cheese, or perhaps a classic broccoli cheddar mac and cheese. Can mac and cheese be its own food team but?
I assumed I’d carry you another distinctive twist on mac and cheese that I’m completely in love with: SOUTHWEST TUNA MAC AND CHEESE with highly spiced flavors and unique umami flavor. Trust me, I do know that it sounds a little bit crazy, but I promise you it’s one of the vital BEST tuna mac and cheese recipes you’ll ever make.
Ingredients in tuna mac and cheese
Not most effective is this tuna mac and cheese full of taste, but it surely additionally uses easy elements and pantry staples that chances are you'll already have on-hand. The extra protein makes this a delicious, wholesome tuna mac and cheese dinner!
- Elbow noodles: You can use gluten loose, entire grain or regular noodles. I truly love the chickpea pasta noodles on account of the extra fiber however entire grain is superb, too.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: I really like to use a block of cheddar because it melts much more uncomplicated. I don't suggest the use of pre-shredded cheddar for this recipe, but moderately shred or dice it yourself.
- Whole wheat pastry flour: this flour helps to make a perfectly thick cheese sauce for the tuna mac and cheese. You too can use all purpose or gluten free all purpose flour!
- Canned yellowfin tuna: I AM IN LOVE with the tuna on this recipe. It provides an interesting savory umami taste that I will be able to’t get enough of, to not mention heaps of protein. You can use yellowfin or albacore tuna in this scrumptious recipe.
- Taco seasoning: I decided to use a packet of organic taco seasoning to season the mac and cheese as a result of that’s what I had in my cupboard, alternatively I have a DIY model of taco seasoning is in the recipe notes for you!
- Black beans: These beans are another reason I like this recipe. The fiber and protein within the beans assist to keep you full and add a southwest aptitude to the recipe.
- Unsweetened cashew or almond milk (from the carton): Obviously you'll use common milk (although I wouldn’t use skim). I chose to use cashew milk as it’s incredibly creamy and provides amazing taste to the mac and cheese. Feel free to make use of unsweetened cashew milk from the carton or homemade cashew milk. You too can use unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk.
How to make tuna mac and cheese at the stovetop
- First boil the noodles till al dente, consistent with the directions on the package deal. Once completed cooking, drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are boiling, make a slurry: In a large oven secure skillet or pot upload butter and garlic. Once butter is melted, whisk in the flour and onion powder and cook dinner for 30 seconds till a paste paperwork. Slowly upload in cashew milk, whisking away any lumps.
- Increase the warmth and convey your combination to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes stirring each so continuously, till the sauce thickens up similar to a gravy
- Next add in 6 oz of shredded cheese and 1 packet of taco seasoning and stir till completely melted.
- Finally fold in cooked noodles, black beans and drained tuna and mix till well combined.
- Top with 2 oz. of shredded cheddar. Then you can both serve the mac and cheese and just fold in the extra cheddar you just added, or take away it from the warmth and position below the broiler for 1-2 mins or until cheese is bubbly and fairly golden. Top with cilantro and sizzling sauce if desired!
How to make your individual taco seasoning
Mix in combination the following and upload to the tuna mac and cheese as instructed:
This combo will give your simple tuna mac and cheese that spicy southwest flavor. YUM.
I do know you are going to love this filling comfort meals tuna mac and cheese. It’s glorious on a cozy night and nice for reheating too. I like to recommend topping it with hot sauce and cilantro!
If you favor this recipe, you may also like
One Pan Enchilada Zucchini Turkey Meatballs and Rice
Incredible Caramelized Onion Spinach Chicken Pasta Bake
Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole
30 minute Healthier Pasta Carbonara
Goat Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast with Caramelized Onions + Mushrooms
If you make this simple tuna mac and cheese recipe, you should definitely leave a remark and rate the recipe underneath letting me understand how you adore it. You can also add a photo and tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram! xo.
Stovetop Southwest Tuna Mac and Cheese
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 25 minutes
A southwest impressed version of tuna mac and cheese with taco seasoning, black beans, yellowfin tuna and a lot of cheese. This creamy, highly spiced tuna mac and cheese recipe comes in combination in simply half-hour and is full of protein. Perfect for weeknight dinners, recreation day or anytime you've got a comfort food yearning!
- 8 oz elbow noodles (or whatever noodles you want)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup complete wheat pastry flour (or sub common flour or GF all goal flour)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese)
- 1 (1.1 ounce) packet taco seasoning (preferably organic)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and tired
- 1 (5 ounce) can yellowfin or albacore tuna, drained
- 2 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and reserved for the topping (or about ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese)
- To garnish:
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce, if desired
First boil the noodles till al dente, in line with the directions at the package. Once completed cooking, drain and put aside.
While the noodles are boiling, make a slurry: In a large oven secure skillet or pot upload butter and garlic. Once butter is melted, whisk within the flour and onion powder and cook for 30 seconds till a paste paperwork. Slowly upload in cashew milk, whisking away any lumps.
Increase heat and convey mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes stirring each so incessantly, until the sauce thickens up very similar to a gravy
Next upload in 6 ounces cheese and 1 packet of taco seasoning and stir until utterly melted.
Finally fold in cooked noodles, black beans and tired tuna and combine until well combined.
Top with 2 ounces of shredded cheddar. At this level you can either serve the mac and cheese and just fold in the additional cheddar you just added, or remove from warmth and place beneath the broiler for 1-2 mins or until cheese is bubbly and somewhat golden. Serves 6. Top with cilantro and scorching sauce if desired!
To make your individual taco seasoning: mix in combination the next and add the mac and cheese: 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon paprika, ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¾ teaspoon salt.
To make dairy loose: feel free to use my cashew cheese sauce as an alternative of making the cheese sauce for this recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving
Saturated fats: 10.6g
You May Like Also