Welcome to the final day of Zucchini Week. What do you suppose? Was this the most efficient one but?
I feel so! Especially after this zucchini sweet potato cake…
Over the past 12 months or so, I’ve more or less fallen in love with making cake! Grain unfastened and gluten loose cake to be extra particular. But… why?
Well, now not handiest do I love the problem of getting a gluten free cake proper in each texture and taste (it proves to be tougher than common truffles), but I also really enjoy making cake a bit of better for you! This approach I’m most often the use of a more fit gluten free flour mix, naturally sweetening the muffins as easiest as I will be able to, and using extra healthy elements.
After baking my paleo chocolate cake, tahini chocolate chip cookie cake, the liked gluten free healthy carrot cake and now this sweet potato cake, I’ve learned that I really do love using a mix of both almond flour and coconut flours to create the perfect crumb, taste and texture. It’s simply so good!
Zucchini sweet potato cake substances
You’ll need a few components to make this sweet potato cake including ZUCCHINI! So if you end up with a ton of zucchini on your garden, then it’s time to get your bake on. This cake is super easy to throw in combination and ends up in the very best cake for birthdays, events or if you happen to’re on the lookout for a great way to sneak some veggies into dessert! Here are the substances you’ll need:
- Almond flour: I recommend the use of high quality blanched almond flour. Make certain you pack the almond flour such as you very similar to brown sugar.
- Coconut flour: this is a nice gluten free flour to help take in moisture in recipes and in addition add fiber and nutrition. No wish to pack the coconut flour regardless that!
- Spices: we’re not calling this a spiced sweet potato cake for nothing! This sweet potato cake tastes similar to both carrot cake and pumpkin cake thanks to the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice.
- Zucchini: this recipe calls for two cups of shredded zucchini, which you received’t even have the ability to style. You want to ensure that the zucchini is completely squeezed of extra moisture with a paper towel prior to you measure it.
- Mashed sweet potato: you’ll want a few cup of mashed sweet potato in this recipe. See my notes underneath on find out how to roast sweet potatoes!
- Eggs: this recipe makes use of four eggs to assist with consistency and texture. I’ve added some notes underneath when you’re fascinated about making this vegan.
- Pure maple syrup: WOW is all I will be able to say. The maple syrup is only a nice touch to this recipe and adds such a lot flavor and further moisture. Just ensure it’s the REAL stuff, now not Aunt Jemima or no matter.
- Almond butter: accept as true with me after I say that you simply’re going to want to use almond butter in this recipe! Please make a selection an almond butter with simply almonds (or almonds and salt) because the ingredients.
- Coconut oil: If you don’t want to use coconut oil, you'll be able to at all times use melted butter, but we’re best the usage of 1 tablespoon overall.
- Vanilla extract: just an crucial!
- Optional elements include each pecans or walnuts. Optional, however honestly very scrumptious!
FAQ’s on substitutions
- Can I make it vegan? I haven’t tested it, however I believe 4 flax eggs would work well.
- Can I take advantage of all objective flour? Unfortunately, no, I might not suggest substituting the flour in this recipe.
- Can I exploit a special nut butter? I believe an all herbal cashew butter or tahini would determine neatly, but I would avoid using peanut butter.
What does sweet potato cake style like?
This sweet potato cake tastes like a move between carrot cake and pumpkin cake! It’s deliciously moist, perfectly sweet and full of yummy spices.
How to roast a sweet potato within the oven
Since you’ll need mashed sweet potato for this cake, it's possible you'll as smartly, discover ways to properly roast a sweet potato.
- First, preheat the oven to 375 levels F. Poke a sweet potato all over the place with a fork and place on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 45 minutes-1 hour until the sweet potato is fork soft.
- Allow the sweet potato to cool totally, then take away the outside, position in a bowl and mash with a fork like you might a banana.
- Finally, use 1 cup of mashed sweet potato in this recipe.
The delicious main points on the cream cheese frosting
The cream cheese frosting is beautiful vintage, but also easily dairy unfastened! All you need is:
- Butter (or a vegan buttery stick)
- Cream cheese (dairy unfastened cream cheese)
- Powdered sugar
- Orange juice and zest — for a sweet citrus punch
Whip it up and unfold it on for a deliciously creamy, addicting frosting you’ll want to placed on EVERYTHING!
Don’t omit concerning the almond butter caramel drip!
Of course, we can’t put out of your mind in regards to the beautiful ALMOND BUTTER CARAMEL DRIP in this sweet potato cake. It was once a last-minute decision of mine, however one I’m so satisfied to have made. You’ll simplest need 3 ingredients for the almond butter caramel to paintings beautifully together: almond butter maple syrup and coconut oil. To make it:
- Warm up the maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Stir within the almond butter, and salt for those who like slightly bit of sweet and salty.
- Pour it over the cooled, frosted cake, and use an inverted spatula or spoon to help get the drizzle look.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator to assist solidify the caramel!
The almond butter caramel is understated to make, and a recipe you’ll come back to time and again. Personally, I like dipping apples in it, so I thought, why now not throw it on a cake?
Storing & freezing pointers
One of the best portions about this wholesome zucchini sweet potato cake is that you'll make it 1-2 days ahead of time. I like to make the cakes ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator for easy bring together, however you can additionally retailer it after you’ve frosted the cake, too!
- To store: I recommend storing the cake coated within the refrigerator for as much as 5 days.
- To freeze: be happy to freeze this sweet potato cake either frosted or unfrosted for up to 2 months. I like to recommend freezing it unfrosted in particular person layers for the most productive effects. First, wrap each particular person layer in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and then place the desserts in a zip-top freezer bag. When you’re in a position to serve it, merely thaw it within the fridge in a single day after which let the cake come to room temperature ahead of serving.
Check out all of our favorite kitchen essentials here.
More cake recipes you’ll love
Get all of our amazing cake recipes here!
I'm hoping you're keen on this zucchini sweet potato cake as much as we did! If you make it, you should definitely leave a comment under and price the recipe. xo!
Spiced Zucchini Sweet Potato Cake
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 mins
Total Time 1 hour
Gluten free sweet potato cake packed with zucchini and comfortable spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice! This healthy sweet potato cake is naturally sweetened with natural maple syrup and frosted with a yummy orange & cinnamon infused cream cheese frosting that is simply dairy free! Don't put out of your mind the scrumptious almond butter caramel glaze either.
- Dry ingredients:
- 2 cups packed super tremendous blanched almond flour (I take advantage of Bob's Red Mill)
- ½ cup coconut flour (do not pack)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon floor nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon floor ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Wet elements:
- 4 massive eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup natural maple syrup
- ½ cup herbal creamy almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (from 1 massive roasted sweet potato)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, that’s been squeezed of ALL excess moisture with a paper towel
- 1 tablespoon melted and cooled coconut oil
- ¾ cup chopped pecans (or sub walnuts)
- For the frosting:
- ½ cup salted butter, at room temperature (or sub vegan buttery stick)
- 8 ounces undeniable cream cheese, at room temperature (or sub dairy free cream cheese)
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon contemporary orange juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- ½ teaspoon floor cinnamon
- For the salted caramel drip topping:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons natural maple syrup
- 3-4 tablespoons herbal creamy almond butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Line the bottom of three 6-inch spherical cake pans or two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper rounds. Spray parchment paper and facets of pan with nonstick cooking spray. YOU SHOULD USE PARCHMENT PAPER or the cake is prone to stick. Please don't disregard.
In a big bowl, whisk the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and salt together. Set apart.
In a big bowl, whisk together eggs, natural maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla extract till smooth. Then stir in the mashed sweet potato and shredded zucchini. Finally stir in the melted and cooled coconut oil till it’s smartly incorporated. Note: It is necessary that your eggs are at room temperature in a different way the coconut oil with coagulate. The coconut oil will have to be melted but not HOT, but reasonably closer to room temp.
Add dry substances to rainy ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon till well combined. Stir in pecans, if the use of.
Divide batter frivolously between pans and spread out with a spatula to clean the tops. Bake for 22-32 mins if the usage of two 8-inch pans and 30-40 mins for three 6-inch pans. Cakes are carried out when a tester comes out blank or with only a few crumbs connected. Allow cake to cool utterly prior to frosting or removing from the pans. The cake should be room temperature or chilly while you frost it. This is essential. Cakes can also be made a day ahead and saved in the refrigerator should you’d like!
Make your frosting: In the bowl of an electrical mixer, add the softened butter and cream cheese and whip on top until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, orange juice, orange zest and cinnamon and beat for two minutes more.
Now it’s time to frost the cake: position about 1-2 tablespoons down onto the cake stand and unfold out. Invert 1 cake onto the cake stand, add about ½ heaping cup frosting between every layer, repeat with every cake, then frost the highest and aspects of the cake with the remainder frosting. If you’d like, you'll be able to do a crumb coat for the frosting first (to steer clear of crumbs in the frosting via doing the following: Frost the layers as you most often would and then coat the outdoor of the cake with a very skinny layer of frosting and place in refrigerator for 10-Quarter-hour prior to you finish frosting. This is so that the crumbs keep on with this deposit of frosting and not your major layer.
After you are completed frosting, place cake within the refrigerator after which make your caramel layer: in a medium microwave protected bowl or glass mason jar, add maple syrup and coconut oil. Microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute till heat and coconut oil is melted. Stir in almond butter and salt. I really like to begin with 3 tablespoons of almond butter, however relying on how thick your almond butter is it's possible you'll want to use extra to get a caramel-like consistency.
Pour excessive of the cake. It should naturally begin to drip down the sides but if it doesn’t, you'll use an inverted spatula or a spoon to gently spread the caramel against the perimeters to create a drip glance. Immediately position cake within the refrigerator to lend a hand solidify the caramel.
Cake will keep excellent for 5-7 days within the refrigerator, and will have to be covered to ensure freshness. Serves 16.
To make dairy loose: use vegan butter (I like to recommend Earth Balance) and a dairy free cream cheese comparable to Kite Hill. You may also wish to use a paleo powdered sugar. You too can use Simple Mills Frosting as an alternative.
To make vegan: I haven't tried making this cake vegan, but when you want to take a look at you'll use 4 flax eggs (4 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 12 tablespoons water).
Recipe via: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by means of: Eat Love Eats
You May Like Also