Hello to all my lemon fanatics! Ya woman is back with every other EPIC cake recipe just in time for Valentine’s Day, because every holiday merits cake. Last 12 months you all went loopy for this implausible inside out chocolate covered strawberry cake, so I bought again the beautiful berry theme to percentage with you and your sweetie pies.
This stunning lemon raspberry cake has contemporary raspberries, lemon juice and zest, plus a touch of almond taste that makes it taste like your favourite nostalgic lemon poppy seed muffin. To make it additional particular and even more stunning for any instance, I added an exquisite lemon raspberry buttercream frosting.
I saved the cake gluten loose to share with your whole GF buddies and loved ones, and it’s simply made dairy unfastened as nicely. The cake layers are perfectly moist due to siggi’s yogurt and I LOVE the additional berry flavor that the raspberry plant-based cup provides! Bake this beauty up, share along with your love and have a marvelous Valentine’s Day.
Fall in LOVE with this lemon raspberry cake
Besides being the easiest Valentine’s Day dessert, there’s much more to like about this completely wet, scrumptious lemon poppy seed cake. Its:
- Gluten loose: because of almond flour and oat flour (which you'll make at home!)
- Naturally sweetened: with some honey.
- Deliciously moist: from baking siggi’s yogurt proper inside! Siggi’s yogurt additionally has extra protein than sugar consistent with cup so you'll in reality be ok with incorporating it into recipes (and playing it as-is). The cake will get its texture and best fats for the crumb due to almond flour and siggi’s – whoo hoo!
- Easily dairy unfastened: by way of using siggi’s plant-based cups and your fav vegan buttery stick (within the frosting). I’m these days dairy loose whilst I’m breastfeeding Viggo, so I examined it this fashion and it used to be fabulous!
Ingredients in this gluten loose lemon raspberry cake
As I discussed, this beautiful raspberry lemon cake is not just gluten loose, nevertheless it’s also simply dairy free, naturally sweetened, and bursting with taste. Here’s what you’ll want to make it:
- Eggs: you’ll want 4 eggs on this cake recipe to give it the suitable texture.
- Sweetener: we’re naturally sweetening this raspberry almond cake with honey.
- Yogurt: I absolutely love baking with siggi’s yogurt because it’s made with super easy ingredients and adds the very best amount of moisture and taste without adding a ton of sugar. As I discussed, I used the raspberry or mixed berry plant-based siggi’s yogurt as a result of I’m currently dairy unfastened, however you'll also use their regular raspberry or blended berry cups.
- Lemon: that stunning lemon flavor comes from both fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Flour: we’re the usage of a mix of high-quality blanched almond flour and oat flour as the base of this recipe to stay it gluten free. The almond flour provides a good looking almond flavor to the cake in conjunction with an excellent texture!
- Baking staples: you’ll also want baking soda, salt, and almond extract to in reality deliver out that almond flavor.
- For the lemon raspberry frosting: you’ll want butter (or a vegan buttery stick like Miyokos), powdered sugar, extra lemon juice & zest, fresh raspberries, and a bit milk of selection.
- For the filling & garnish: don’t forget contemporary raspberries for between the layers and on best of the cake!
More raspberry options
This raspberry lemon cake is significantly very best as-is, however there are a couple of different ways you'll be able to use fresh raspberries or raspberry jam that may nonetheless be scrumptious!
- Feel unfastened to bake contemporary raspberries directly into the cake layers. Simply toss 1 heaping cup of unpolluted raspberries in a tablespoon or two of oat flour ahead of including them to the batter so that the raspberry juice doesn’t spread.
- Instead of the use of recent raspberries you'll use ¼ cup raspberry jam between each layer on most sensible of the frosting (so ½ cup overall). Just don’t unfold the top of the cake with the jam!
Can I make it vegan?
I haven’t tried making this wholesome lemon poppy seed cake vegan, but when you wish to have to check out you can use 4 flax eggs (¼ cup flaxseed meal + ¾ cup water) and allow it to sit down for 10 minutes until a gel-like consistency paperwork. Learn how one can make a flax egg with this tutorial, and let me know in the feedback the way it works out!
Feel unfastened to sub maple syrup for the honey in the cake to make it actually vegan, too!
A notice on flour substitutions
Please notice that I will not counsel an alternative choice to the almond or oat flour as the ratios are what give this cake the very best texture. See underneath for the right way to make your individual oat flour for ease!
Make your personal oat flour at home
You can simply make selfmade oat flour to use on this lemon raspberry cake recipe. Check out my tutorial on how you can make home made oat flour right at house. So simple!
Tips for adorning this raspberry lemon cake
If you’ve by no means adorned a three-layer cake ahead of, don’t fear! It’s easy and can prove beautifully with a couple of pointers:
- For the layers: lower the raspberries in half lengthwise to add them between the cake layers and sparsely smoosh them into the layers. This will make sure that there isn’t an excessive amount of house between the layers.
- For the frosting: be sure you best frost your cake once the layers are completely cooled, differently the frosting will soften. Do a crumb coat first via frosting the layers as you typically would after which coat the outdoor of the cake with a very skinny layer of frosting then place in the refrigerator for 10-Quarter-hour ahead of you finish frosting. This is in order that the crumbs keep on with this residue of frosting and now not your main layer.
- For the highest: garnish all of the most sensible of the cake with raspberries by means of hanging entire raspberries the wrong way up onto the cake. See the footage for reference! I recommend doing this just prior to serving the cake in order that the berries keep contemporary and juicy!
How to make the lemon raspberry buttercream frosting
Not handiest is this simple lemon raspberry buttercream frosting gorgeous, however it’s also SO scrumptious and bursting with flavor. Here’s the right way to make it:
- Blend the raspberries. You’ll wish to get started by blending ½ cup of raspberries till smooth. Pour that combination into a bowl thru a sieve to strain the seeds out, and use the back of a spoon to get all of the juice out.
- Whip the butter. Add softened butter (or vegan butter) to a bowl of an electrical mixer and whip it on prime until it’s gentle and fluffy.
- Mix the frosting. Add powdered sugar, lemon juice & zest, and the raspberry puree to the electrical mixer and beat on high once more for a couple extra mins till well mixed. You would possibly need to upload a tablespoon or so of milk to thin the frosting and make it creamier, however this simply relies on how you like it.
P.S. you'll be able to make the frosting as much as per week forward of time! Simply retailer it in an airtight container within the refrigerator till you’re ready to make use of it. Let the frosting come to room temp earlier than spreading it for your cake.
If you wish to have to make a regular lemon buttercream: simply miss the raspberry puree, upload an additional tablespoon of lemon juice (so 2 tablespoons total) and 1-2 tablespoons of milk.
How to retailer & freeze this lemon poppy seed cake
To save time you can absolutely make this lemon raspberry cake 1-2 days ahead of time! Feel unfastened to make the cake layers forward and retailer them in the refrigerator, or make the entire frosted cake and retailer it.
- To retailer: I recommend storing the cake well coated in the refrigerator for as much as 5-7 days.
- To freeze: be at liberty to freeze this lemon raspberry cake either frosted or unfrosted for as much as 2 months. I recommend freezing it unfrosted in individual layers for the most efficient effects. First, wrap every person layer in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil after which position the cakes in a zip-top freezer bag. When you’re able to serve it, simply thaw it within the fridge in a single day and then let the cake come to room temperature sooner than frosting and serving.
Our fav cake baking gear
Get all of our go-to kitchen essentials here!
More amazing cake recipes
Get all of my cake recipes here!
I'm hoping you're keen on this wonderful lemon raspberry cake recipe! If you make it remember to go away a comment and a ranking so I know the way you loved it. Enjoy, xo!
Almond Lemon Raspberry Poppy Seed Cake
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
Gorgeous lemon raspberry cake made with recent lemon juice and zest, raspberries, poppy seeds and a luscious lemon raspberry frosting. This lemon poppy seed cake is made gluten unfastened because of almond flour and oat flour, and is definitely made dairy free with siggi’s raspberry plant-based yogurt and vegan butter!
- Wet components:
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 (5.Three ounce) container of raspberry or mixed berry plant-based siggi’s yogurt*
- Zest from 2 large lemons
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Dry elements:
- 2 3/4 cups packed blanched fine almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour** (don't pack!)
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the lemon raspberry frosting:
- 1 ½ cups (12 ounces) butter or vegan buttery stick (reminiscent of Miyokos), at room temperature
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ cup raspberries (to make 1-2 tablespoons raspberry puree)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon milk, if important
- For the filling:
- 6 oz recent raspberries, lower in half lengthwise
- For the garnish:
- 6 oz recent raspberries (don't minimize!)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line the ground of three 6-inch spherical cake pans or two 8-inch spherical cake pans with parchment paper rounds. Spray parchment paper and aspects of the pans with nonstick cooking spray. YOU SHOULD USE PARCHMENT PAPER or the cake is more likely to stick. Please don't put out of your mind.
In a big bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract. The aggregate will have to be easy and well mixed.
In a separate bowl, whisk the almond flour, oat flour, poppyseeds, baking soda and salt. Add the dry substances to the rainy ingredients and blend nicely with a rubber spatula until clean.
Divide batter lightly between pans and unfold out with a spatula to clean the tops. Bake for 18-28 mins within the two 8-inch pans or 25-35 minutes for three 6-inch pans. Cakes are completed when a tester comes out blank or with only a few crumbs attached. Allow the cake to chill completely earlier than frosting or getting rid of from the pans. The cake should be room temperature whilst you frost it. This is very important. Cakes can also be made a day forward should you’d like.
Make your frosting: Add ½ cup raspberries to a blender and mix till clean. Pour mixture thru a sieve over a small bowl and use the back of a spoon to get the entire juice out so that you most effective have the seeds ultimate. Set the raspberry juice puree aside. In the bowl of an electrical mixer, add the softened butter or vegan butter and whip on prime till mild and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add Four cups powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and a couple of tablespoons of the raspberry puree; beat on top for 1-2 mins extra till properly combined. Taste and upload more powdered sugar in your liking, if essential. You would possibly wish to scrape the frosting down the perimeters of the bowl and then beat once more. Optional: You may need to add in a bit of little bit of milk (about 1 tablespoon) to skinny the frosting out so it’s a bit of more creamy, however it will depend on how you like it! I love a thick frosting.
Now it’s time to frost the cake: place about 1 tablespoons down onto the cake stand and unfold out. Invert a cake onto the cake stand, upload about 1/2 heaping cup frosting between every layer. Cut the raspberries reserved for the filling in half lengthwise, and position them over the filling between each layer, masking the entire floor. You want to form of smoosh them into the frosting as perfect you can. It’s k if they ruin a little, but it's important that they are properly nestled into the frosting so that there aren’t large gaps between the cake layers. Repeat with each and every cake, then frost the highest and facets of the cake with the remaining lemon frosting. If the cake is fairly ‘bare’ on the out of doors, that’s okay, it’s going to be delicious!
Garnish with fresh raspberries simply sooner than serving the cake to ensure they keep as contemporary as possible!
Cake will stay just right at room temp for a day or so, then must be placed within the refrigerator. Cake will keep good for 5-7 days in the fridge, and should be well-covered to verify freshness.
If you wish to have to make a normal lemon buttercream, simply miss the raspberry puree, upload an extra tablespoon of lemon juice and 1-2 tablespoons of milk of choice to the frosting.
*You too can use regular siggi's raspberry or blended berry cups.
To do a crumb layer: Frost the layers as you most often would and then coat the out of doors of the cake with an overly skinny layer of the frosting. Then, position the cake within the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before you finish frosting. This is so that the crumbs keep on with this sediment of frosting and not your primary layer.
**Feel free to make your own oat flour at house the usage of this tutorial.
Instead of using recent raspberries, you'll be able to use about ¼ cup raspberry jam between each and every layer, so that you’d want ½ cup general. See extra ideas within the weblog publish!
Recipe by means of: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by The Mindful Hapa
This put up is subsidized by siggi’s. All text and critiques are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make AK imaginable!
You May Like Also