Back when I was pregnant I craved EVERYTHING spicy and dedicated numerous time to revamping and remaking a few of my favourite convenience foods at house. This time of year is absolute best for making lightened up convenience meals like my easy baked chicken nuggets, healthy turkey lasagna, and global-inspired foods like this beautiful slow cooker chicken tikka masala. #hellyes
If you’ve by no means had tikka masala ahead of you’re in for a delightful surprise. And you probably have, then you know the way lip-smacking excellent this meal can be. Fire up that slow cooker and get this healthy chicken tikka masala to your dinner menu ASAP!
What is tikka masala?
Tikka Masala is a well-liked Indian dish made up of chicken in a curry-spiced tomato-based sauce that’s typically infused with heavy cream and/or butter.
Making tikka masala fitter
I’ve lightened up this model in order that it’s simply as tasty, but lighter due to mild coconut milk as a substitute of heavy cream, so you'll be able to save room for pita bread or naan just for soaking up the creamy coconut milk tomato sauce.
Everything you’ll wish to make healthy chicken tikka masala
This delicious, healthier chicken tikka masala recipe has superb, daring flavors from heaps of warming spices and is made further creamy with coconut milk. Here’s the whole thing you’ll wish to make it:
- Veggies & produce: you’ll need a white or yellow onion, jalapeño, garlic, contemporary ginger and a lemon for hints of scrumptious freshness in this dish.
- Spices: the important thing to this chicken tikka masala is the combination of spices. We’re the usage of garam masala, paprika, cayenne pepper, ground turmeric, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Chicken: you’ll additionally need about 1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts. Feel free to use chicken thighs for much more flavor!
- Coconut milk: as an alternative of heavy cream or butter, we’re the use of a can of light coconut milk to make the tikka masala rich and creamy.
- To garnish: I like topping my bowl with recent cilantro and a bit greek yogurt (especially when I make it highly spiced!)
How to make chicken tikka masala in the slow cooker
Making chicken tikka masala in the slow cooker is one among our favorite techniques to experience a flavorful, global-inspired dinner without the entire paintings. It’s easy to make, bold and something other to check out. Somewhat highly spiced, somewhat sweet and hella delicious. Here’s tips on how to make it:
- Saute your veggies. First saute onions, jalapenos and garlic in a skillet till onions begin to melt. Transfer to slow cooker. You can always upload these immediately to the slow cooker with out cooking, but I like to saute them a bit to liberate some taste.
- Stir in the sauce. Next upload in overwhelmed tomatoes or tomato puree, in conjunction with fresh lemon juice, recent ginger and the next spices: garam masala, paprika, cayenne, turmeric, curry powder and salt and pepper. Give it a stir!
- Add chicken & cook. Add chicken to the slow cooker with the sauce and spices, then cook on low for 6-7 hours or prime for 2-3 hours.
- Shred & thicken it up. Once executed cooking, shred chicken and upload back to slow cooker. Then upload in a cup of light coconut milk and cook on prime exposed for every other 20 minutes to thicken it up somewhat.
- Serve & revel in! Serve in an instant over brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice for a low carb option. Garnish with cilantro and yogurt if desired. Soak up the additional sauce with naan or pita bread.
A couple of things to know about this slow cooker chicken tikka masala
- It can also be highly spiced: in case you are delicate to spice, you'll pass over the cayenne pepper.
- This recipe accommodates various spices: garam masala can once in a while be tricky to seek out, so head to a neighborhood spice shop. I do know Whole Foods also carries it. Please don't overlook from the recipe, it's important for flavor.
- Make it vegetarian: you'll be able to easily make this vegetarian! Instead of chicken, I counsel the use of 2 (15 ounce) cans of chickpeas that have been rinsed and drained.
What to serve with tikka masala
This recipe is admittedly to die for when served on top of brown rice, my well-known coconut rice, fluffy quinoa or cauliflower rice for an extremely low carb choice. Don’t disregard the pita bread or naan to take in the creamy sauce!
How to store & freeze chicken tikka masala
Store this slow cooker chicken tikka masala in the fridge for as much as Four days in an hermetic container.
- To freeze: Let the tikka masala cool totally earlier than moving to a freezer-safe container or bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. I might no longer recommend freezing the tikka masala with rice.
- To reheat: thaw the chicken tikka masala within the refrigerator. While the curry is thawing, be at liberty to make rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa to serve with it. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave for two mins till heated via.
More healthy dinner recipes to check out
Get all of my delicious dinner recipes here!
I'm hoping you're keen on this healthy slow cooker chicken tikka masala! If you make it make sure you go away a remark & a rating so I understand how you liked it. xo!
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 3 hours
Total Time 3 hours 10 mins
This glorious, healthy slow cooker chicken tikka masala is my take on a comforting Indian dish made with tomato sauce, chicken breast, coconut milk, and flavorful, daring spices. Serve with brown rice or naan for the perfect weeknight dinner!
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or tomato puree (don't use tomato sauce)
- 1 tablespoon contemporary grated ginger
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (about 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 kilos boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup mild coconut milk (from the can)
- Additional salt, to style
- Optional for garnish: greek yogurt & cilantro
Heat olive oil in a big skillet over medium heat. Add in onion, jalapeno and garlic; saute for roughly Five mins or until onions are quite golden and translucent. Transfer to a large slow cooker.
Next upload in tomato puree, ginger, lemon juice, garam masala, paprika, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and curry powder to the slow cooker; stir to combine.
Add chicken breasts and spoon sauce over the chicken to verify they're coated. Cover and cook dinner on low for 6-7 hours or on prime for 2-Three hours.
Once cooked, take away chicken with a slotted spoon and switch to a slicing board. Shred the chicken with two forks, then switch back to the slow cooker.
Stir in coconut milk and allow to cook on high UNCOVERED for 15-20 extra minutes to assist thicken the sauce. Taste and regulate seasonings as vital, together with including extra salt, if desired.
Serve with brown rice, pita bread/naan or enjoy as is. Garnish with undeniable greek yogurt and chopped cilantro. Store any leftovers within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
To make vegetarian: as an alternative of chicken, I counsel the usage of 2 (15 ounce) cans of chickpeas that have been rinsed and drained.
If you'd like you'll upload 1 cup frozen peas while you add the coconut milk in step 5.
See the overall submit for freezing instructions.
Servings: Four servings
Serving size: 1 serving
Saturated fats: 3.8g
Recipe by way of: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography via: Eat Love Eats
You May Like Also