When I first made this soup I principally came about upon it through mistake. I had examined it and shot it, however didn’t to find the pictures till I was scrolling thru my outdated camera card months and months later. I take into accout pondering, “OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS SOUP. IT MUST GO ON THE BLOG ASAP!”
So after all, I had to put up this healing butternut squash lentil soup at the weblog! I’ve since updated this recipe with some recent photos, a brand new video, and extra tips and tricks for making it additional scrumptious. This recipe is a creamy, nutritious, curry-flavored soup with butternut squash, lentils, turmeric, coconut milk, ginger and garlic. To give it an extra umami taste, I added in peanut butter and stirred in spinach for just a little dietary spice up (kale would additionally work smartly).
It’s addicting and I like crushing up crackers to take in extra of the creamy butternut broth. Also, who doesn’t love crackers in their soup?!
This soup is SUPER simple to make and I actually have a gradual cooker choice for you available within the notice segment. It’s great in the event you’re trying to incorporate extra plant-based foods into your nutrition too. Best of all, this soup is beautiful for serving to you heal after you’ve been in poor health — you’ll in finding a variety of superfoods, anti-inflammatory ingredients and herbs in this recipe. Time to make it ASAP!
Looking for much more plant-based foods?
I’ve were given you lined with my FREE e mail series: 5 Days of Plant-Based Eating! In this series I proportion my easiest plant-based, vegan recipes with you to experience for every meal of the day — snacks & muffins incorporated!
Get the entire deets & sign up here to experience colorful, veggie-packed meals all season lengthy.
Everything you’ll wish to make this curry butternut squash lentil soup
Get ready to fall in love with the superb flavors and textures in this butternut squash lentil soup. It’s stuffed with quite a lot of veggies and good-for-you, healing components. Here’s what you’ll want to make it:
- Coconut oil: you’ll be cooking down your veggies to begin in just a little coconut oil.
- Produce: this nourishing soup is filled with carrots, butternut squash, onion and three whole cups of spinach for a boost of nutrients. Don’t fail to remember the garlic and freshly grated ginger, too! Be sure to check out our very best guidelines & tips for cubing a butternut squash here, too.
- Spices: you’ll be mixing in yellow curry powder, turmeric, and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Lentils: I like the use of lentils on this soup as a result of they make it thick and creamy while also offering a number of plant founded protein and fiber. Feel unfastened to use green or brown lentils.
- For the broth: the creamy broth is made with light coconut milk and coffee sodium vegetarian broth.
- Secret factor: for added richness and scrumptious umami taste I really like to add natural, creamy peanut butter. It’s the BEST. Use the code ‘AMBITIOUS15’ for 15% off my favourite emblem, Wild Friends.
- Optional: I also love topping my bowl with recent cilantro, chopped peanuts and a dash of hot sauce!
Simple element swaps
The components on this soup are quite simple to customize with what you have on hand. Here’s what I will recommend:
- Swap the butternut squash. Cubed candy potato or even pumpkin can be perfect on this soup.
- Choose your veggies. I really like mixing in contemporary spinach, but kale would be another best green to add!
- Add some spice. Looking for a kick of warmth? Feel unfastened to add a pinch of cayenne pepper while you upload the spices. As I mentioned above, you'll additionally top your bowl with some scorching sauce!
- Boost the protein. Lentils give this soup a good amount of protein, however it is advisable additionally upload ground chicken or turkey (should you’re no longer vegan).
How to make this butternut squash lentil soup
This soup couldn’t be more uncomplicated to make! Here’s learn how to make it on the stovetop:
- Cook your veggies. Start by way of cooking down the onion, garlic and ginger in coconut oil for a few mins till the onion softens. Then add within the cubed butternut squash and carrots to prepare dinner for a few minutes more.
- Add the spices & broth. Next, stir in the curry powder and turmeric, let them coat the veggies somewhat and then add within the coconut milk, broth, lentils and peanut butter. Season it all with salt and pepper.
- Simmer it up. You’ll then need to carry the whole thing to a boil, then cut back it to low warmth to let the soup simmer until the lentils are comfortable.
- Time to blend. To make the soup thick and creamy you’re then going to switch part of it to a blender and puree it until it’s great and smooth. Pour it back into the rest of the soup.
- Add the vegetables & serve. Finally, stir in the contemporary spinach till it’s simply wilted, taste and alter the seasoning as important. Feel free so as to add extra peanut butter or even a squeeze of lime juice for freshness. Add toppings and serve!
Make it on your sluggish cooker
Yes, you'll make this butternut squash lentil soup right in your slow cooker for an easy, hands-off option!
- Add everything together. Seriously, just add the entire soup substances (aside from the spinach) proper to your slow cooker. I like to recommend decreasing the broth to 2 1/2 cups.
- Slow cook dinner it! You can prepare dinner the soup on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-Eight hours.
- Blend it. Once the soup is cooked and the squash is tender, mix half of it and add it again to the gradual cooker.
- Add spinach & serve. Stir within the spinach on the ends, taste & alter seasonings in the event you’d like, and then serve!
Storing & freezing pointers
- To store: store this curry butternut squash lentil soup recipe in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Feel free to reheat it within the microwave or on the stovetop!
- To freeze: let the soup utterly cool after which transfer it to a freezer-safe container (or more than one boxes for meal prep purposes). Freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, first let the soup thaw within the refrigerator, then warmth the soup within the microwave or at the stovetop.
More wholesome soup recipes you’ll love
Get all of our wonderful soup recipes here!
I hope you love this healing curry butternut squash lentil soup! If you make it make sure to go away a remark and a score so I understand how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Healing Curry Butternut Squash Lentil Soup
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 30 mins
Total Time 50 minutes
Healing curry butternut squash lentil soup that's vegan, protein-packed, and incredibly nourishing. You're going to love this creamy, flavorful soup that's packed with anti inflammatory elements! Make it on the stovetop or on your sluggish cooker for ease.
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced or diced
- 1 medium (2 pound) butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 5-6 cups diced)
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric (or 1 teaspoon floor turmeric)
- 1 (15 ounce) can gentle coconut milk
- 3 cups natural low sodium vegetarian broth
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2 tablespoons all natural creamy peanut butter or cashew butter
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly flooring black pepper
- 3 cups natural spinach
Add coconut oil oil to a large pot or dutch oven and position over medium top warmth. Next add in garlic, ginger and onion and saute for 3-Five minutes till onion begin to soften.
Add in carrot and butternut squash cubes; saute for a couple of extra minutes then upload within the yellow curry powder and turmeric. Allow spices to cook dinner together for 30 seconds then instantly stir in coconut milk, vegetarian broth, lentils and peanut butter. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring soup to a boil, then cover, cut back heat to low and allow soup to simmer for 20 mins until lentils melt.
After 20 mins, transfer roughly part of the soup (about 3 cups) to a blender. It’s essential to offer protection to your arms from steam and a potential heat explosion, so please position a clean dish towel over the lid and puree the soup until smooth. I really like to start gradual, then progressively build up the velocity of the blender.
Pour the puree back into the pot with the remainder of the soup and stir to combine. Finally stir the fresh spinach until simply wilted.
Taste and modify the seasoning of the soup as essential. If you favor more of a umami flavor check out adding some other tablespoon of peanut butter, or even a squeeze of clean lime juice. This is a soup that may do no flawed! I like to serve mine with cilantro and a handful of peanuts -- it’s additionally nice with slightly sizzling sauce in case you choose a bit spice!
To make yours within the gradual cooker: add the entire elements to the bowl of a slow cooker, aside from I like to recommend decreasing the broth to two ½ cups. Cook on top for 3-Four hours or low for 6-8 hours. Continue with blending part of the soup after it is cooked.
Feel free to use cubed candy potato or pumpkin if that is what you may have available.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving
Recipe by way of: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by way of: Eat Love Eats
This submit used to be at first revealed on March 15, 2018, and republished on October 11, 2021.
You May Like Also