It’s time to bring these insanely scrumptious cookies back as a result of they’re the whole lot I dream of. I first made them for Cookie Week back in 2019 whilst I used to be 36 weeks pregnant (omg!) I hadn’t truly craved anything sweet frequently throughout my being pregnant, then again, these gingerbread oatmeal cream pies modified EVERYTHING. I couldn’t stop eating them or eager about them and neither may Tony. They simply screamed all issues Christmas!
The inspiration for those gingerbread oatmeal cookie sandwiches got here from the dreamy cookies I used to consume when I used to be a kid. Remember those candy packaged oatmeal cream pies? They were incredibly comfortable, chewy, ridiculously candy. I remember ripping a package deal of them open after faculty and the sweet oatmeal and cream odor hitting me right in the face. YUM.
I made up our minds to create a holiday-inspired model of the ones Little Debbies infused with soft, candy ginger molasses flavor, then full of a vanilla cream filling that’s thick and sumptuous. You’re going to LOVE them!
Introducing my FREE Ultimate Guide to Cookie Baking
Ready to be informed my secrets and techniques to chewy, ooey-gooey, delicious cookies each and every single time? That’s right, I’m here to help you bake the best cookies of your lifestyles. If you’re someone who struggles with baking cookies then my FREE downloadable, printable Ultimate Guide to Cookie Baking is for you!
In this Ultimate Guide to Cookie Baking you’ll be told:
- Everything there's to find out about several types of flours and sweeteners
- How to make cookies vegan and gluten unfastened
- How to correctly measure ingredients
- Solutions for common cookie baking problems
And so a lot more! Download this printable guide here for vacation cookie baking, and take into accout to come back back to it time and time again whenever the cookie cravings hit.
Ingredients in gingerbread oatmeal cream pies
Imagine if a ginger molasses cookie and an oatmeal cookie had a baby — as a result of that’s exactly what these cookies are and THEY’RE SIMPLY INCREDIBLE. These gingerbread oatmeal cookie sandwiches cookies require easy elements that you just most probably have already got in your pantry — especially for those who like to bake:
- Butter: we’re using good old skool butter to supply delicious taste and moisture in the gingerbread oatmeal cookies.
- Sweetener: you’ll need brown sugar (I prefer dark brown sugar) and blackstrap molasses to sweeten the cookies and give them that gingerbread flavor.
- Egg: you’ll also need 1 egg on this recipe.
- Flour: the base of the cookies is made with regular all purpose flour.
- Rolled oats: because oatmeal cookies are existence, we’re adding rolled oats to the dry substances as smartly. Do now not use steel minimize oats as the texture shall be much different.
- Spices: for that incredible gingerbread taste you’ll want ground ginger, cinnamon and allspice.
- Baking staples: can’t overlook the vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- For the filling: flip those cookies into gingerbread oatmeal cream pies by means of sandwiching them with a cream pie heart constructed from butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and slightly milk.
Magical oatmeal cream pie filling
The oatmeal cream pie filling has got to be probably the most scrumptious parts of these cookies. It’s a vanilla buttercream frosting, with a little further milk to stay it additional clean and creamy. Sandwich it between two gingerbread oatmeal cookies and get ready to fall in love.
Yes, you'll be able to also bake those cookies as-is and either skip the filling or just frost each and every cookie for my part!
Molasses: the key to gingerbread
Numerous people ask if they can skip the molasses in those gingerbread oatmeal cream pies. If you wish to have that rich, deliciously spiced gingerbread taste, the solution is nope! Not most effective does molasses supply scrumptious sweetness to these cookies, however 1 tablespoon of it has 20% of your day-to-day iron wishes. Mind. BLOWN.
A couple of notes on substitutions
I’ve simplest examined those gingerbread oatmeal cookie sandwiches as-is, so I like to recommend following the recipe as written to make sure that they end up fantastically. In terms of substitutions:
- Feel unfastened to stay those cookies dairy free by means of the usage of vegan butter in the dough and in the cream pie filling.
- I haven’t examined a gluten loose version of those cookies, so I can't counsel a replace. Let me know in the event you do in the comments!
- A reader commented that a flax egg worked within the gingerbread oatmeal cookies, so be happy to present that a take a look at! Then be sure you use vegan butter to stay the cookie sandwiches vegan.
Tips for the most productive gingerbread oatmeal sandwich cookies
- Choose your texture. If you favor softer gingerbread cookies, bake them simply until they’re set for approximately 9-10 minutes. If you like crispier edges, bake them nearer to 12 minutes.
- Cool totally. Be sure to let your cookies cool totally prior to adding the filling so that the cream pie filling doesn’t soften.
- Don’t overfill. Leave a little bit edge across the cookies when adding the frosting so that it doesn’t leak out.
- Let them sit. The filling can have the most productive texture after letting the gingerbread oatmeal cream pies sit down at room temperature for 1 hour, so take a look at to withstand biting into them until then!
How to store & freeze oatmeal cream pies
I LOVE freezing additional cookie dough because that approach I will pop them within the oven each time I want and it’s nice when you want to deliver something to a party or to a liked one’s area but don’t really feel like having a baking extravaganza. Here’s methods to store and freeze those cookies:
- To store: be happy to stay the gingerbread oatmeal cream pies at room temp in an airtight container for 1-2 days, then I like to recommend transferring them to the refrigerator for up to 3-Four days.
- To freeze: you've choices to freeze the dough, freeze the baked cookies, or freeze the total gingerbread oatmeal sandwich cookies! Check out my complete tutorial here to learn exactly methods to do it.
More delicious cookie recipes
Get all of our wonderful cookie recipes here!
Want exclusive cookie recipes?
If you’ve been following AK for a while now you realize that I’ve created heaps of incredible cookie recipes over the years, especially for the holiday season. This 12 months, we’re launching Five logo new, exclusive cookie recipes at the Ambitious Kitchen TikTok page! If you’re not already, remember to follow us to get all of the a laugh recipes.
These gingerbread oatmeal cream pie cookies are probably the most very best treats to bake for the holiday season or to deliver to cookie exchanges. They’re freezer-friendly and are the ultimate deal with for those who used to like Little Debbies (like me!) or have a major obsession with all things gingerbread taste.
Time to get your bake on!
I'm hoping you're keen on these gingerbread oatmeal cream pies! If you're making them be sure you leave a comment and a score so I know the way you really liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Incredible Gingerbread Oatmeal Cream Pies
Prep Time 1 hour 30 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
Amazing oatmeal cream pies with a gingerbread twist! These perfectly spiced gingerbread oatmeal cookies are sandwiched along with a delicious thick cream filling for without equal holiday cookie sandwich.
- Wet elements:
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (darkish is excellent, but light also works!)
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons flooring ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For cream pie heart:
- ¾ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons milk to make the filling creamy
Add room temperature butter and brown sugar to the bowl of an electrical mixer and beat the butter and sugar together for 1 minute. Next, upload in the molasses, egg and vanilla and beat once more until well mixed, clean and creamy, about 1 more minute.
In a large bowl, whisk in combination the dry ingredients: flour, oats, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt in a bowl. Slowly upload dry components to the rainy ingredients and blend on low-speed simply until combined. Chill dough in fridge for 1 hour, that is so the cookies have the very best texture, so please don't skip the chilling of the dough!
Once able to bake cookies, preheat the oven to 350 levels F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use your palms or a tablespoon to take hold of a big tablespoonful of dough and roll into a ball. Place dough balls 2-inches aside on cookie sheet. Bake 9-12 minutes. If you like cookies with a crispy edges, bake for roughly 12 mins. If you favor softer cookies, bake for 9-10 minutes.
Remove from oven and funky the cookies on sheets about Five minutes then switch to a wire rack. They will still stay soft on the within. Repeat with ultimate dough. Makes about 30 cookies general (or what is going to be 15 cookie sandwiches).
Once cookies have totally cooled, you'll be able to make the filling: Add the room temperature butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on low, then gradually build up velocity to prime for about 1 minute, or until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
Top one cookie sandwich with a spoonful of filling, leaving a pleasing edge around the cookies and top with every other cookie sandwich, then very gently press down moderately. Repeat with all cookies. You must get about 15 oatmeal cream pies. The filling may have the most productive texture after letting the cookies sit at room temperature for 1 hour, should you attempt to chew into them earlier the frosting won’t be as firm as we’d like.
Instructions for freezing the cookies and cookie dough can also be discovered within this post.
Servings: 15 cookie sandwiches
Serving dimension: 1 sandwich cookie with filling
Saturated fat: 9.6g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography through: Eat Love Eats
This submit was once initially revealed on December fifth, 2019, and republished on December fifteenth, 2021.
You May Like Also